I get it. A spreadsheet changing anyone's life sounds like overdramatic bull crap. I’d be skeptical too.
But like many others, there was a point in my life where I completely ignored my finances because I did not want to face the reality that was in front of me.
- I had no idea how much money I was spending on the different areas of my life (groceries, gas, entertainment, shopping, etc.)
- I was spending all the money I made each month
- My savings account was non-existent, which left me without a safety net
- I had no financial goals other than to make more money
Before I created my first budget, I thought managing my money would be a complicated process.
So like any rational human being, I decided that the best course of action would be to ignore my finances altogether. That would solve things!
Obviously, it did not solve things. It actually stressed me out even more because I wasn't saving any money each month.
If my car needed work, I had a medical emergency, or I received an unexpected bill, I had to borrow money from friends or family, rack up credit card debt, or leave something else unpaid.
I finally hit my breaking point and opened up an Excel spreadsheet to put together my first budget.
And do you know what I realized?
Budgeting is ridiculously easy.
The only reason I had been avoiding puting a budget together was because I knew that once I saw the numbers staring me in the face, I was going to have to get real about my spending habits.
That was over ten years ago.
That first budget was a game changer for me and I can't imagine my life without it. I kick myself when I think about all the years that passed where I wasn't using one.
All because I was too afraid to be honest with myself about my financial situation.
Nobody teaches you about money. Unless you had a parent or mentor sit you down and show you how to manage your money, financial literacy is something you have to seek out yourself.
That's why we're so excited to share The 20-Minute Budget with everyone we can.
Not just because we've seen other people benefit from what we teach, but because both Corey and I are using this exact system to reach the most financially stable positions we've ever been in.
Because of The 20-Minute Budget:
- We have clarity into how much money we're spending in all aspects of our lives, which allows us to make smarter purchasing decisions
- We know exactly how much money we need from our business to support our personal financial goals while leaving money left over to invest back into our business
- We have healthier spending habits and feel more prepared for bigger purchases, as well as unexpected expenses
- We know precisely how much of the income we receive from our business to save for taxes
There are a few questions we repeatedly get from entrepreneurs when we do podcasts and webinars.
- How much money should I pay myself?
- How much money should I be investing in my business?
- How much money does my business need to make before I can quit my day job?
Unfortunately, these are questions we don't have universal answers for because so much depends on your personal financial situation.
Ever heard the phrase "paralysis by analysis?"
It's exactly what happens when a budget gets too detailed and becomes a hassle to maintain.
That's why The 20-Minute Budget is such a unique budgeting tool.
The 20-Minute Budget was created specifically to provide the financial insights you need while limiting unnecessary busywork.
We're finance guys, which means we don't like fluff. That's why we want to get your budget up and running as soon as possible so you can get the financial clarity you need and then get back to business.
The 20-Minute Budget is designed to be a financial system that you can learn and execute quickly while providing you with just the right amount of insight into your finances, so you can make effective changes to your spending habits and easily track your progress.
By all means, if you have a financial epiphany and fall in love with your budget, then spend as much time as you like, but most entrepreneurs can expect to spend just a couple hours setting up their budgets and twenty minutes per month keeping them maintained.
There are two pieces to The 20-Minute Budget:
- Learning how to set up your budget using the spreadsheet included in the course
- Learning how to utilize your free Mint.com account
As long as you have access to Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets (free spreadsheet software from Google), as well as an internet connection so you can login to Mint.com, you're going to have everything you need to crush it with your new budget.
We know that this finance stuff can be a little intimidating at first. That's why all students in The 20-Minute Budget will receive access to a private Facebook group where they can get support and feedback from other students in the program.